What is a Body Wrap?
A body wrap is a type of spa treatment which improves the health and appearance of skin, and also reduces body measurements. A body wrap results in the extraction of dirt, toxins and excess water from the skin. This spa treatment is also known as a ‘body cocoon’ or ‘body mask’. Most of the wraps are performed on the entire body, except the face and genital area. However, some wraps such as cellulite and bust wraps are performed on certain areas only.
The effect of a body wrap is temporary, however it is worth getting done, if you wish to turn heads in a wedding! The effect of a body wrap lasts longer, if you get it done once or twice a week.
What Happens During A Body Wrap?
These are the steps typically followed during a body wrap:
- Removal of Clothing: Before your body wrap session begins, you need to remove all of your clothing except your underwear. In case of a bust wrap, you can wear shorts, and if only your lower half is to be treated, then you can wear a comfortable top.
- Exfoliation: Dead skin cells are removed by using a gently abrasive scrub. This step is not a part of all body wrap treatments, however it is highly recommended. Hence it is best to select a type of body wrap which includes exfoliation process.
- Rinse: If scrub exfoliation is a part of your body wrap treatment, then rinsing off is required. You may do this in a separate shower room, or through a special Vichy shower if it is present above your treatment table.
- Formula Application and Wrapping: Post rinsing, a mineral and/or oil-rich formula is applied by the beautician to your body. Each area of the body is wrapped in cloth or plastic film before moving to the next. When fully wrapped, some heated towels may also be laid upon you. This further increases sweating and the opening of pores.
- Relax: After the wrapping, you are left alone to relax for thirty minutes to let the treatment do its magic. Alternatively, an energizing head massage may be given to you by the therapist.
- Unwrap and Rinse: Post relaxation, you are unwrapped by the beautician, and either rinsed off using the Vichy shower or provided a separate shower facility so you can do it yourself. It is advisable to avoid using a shower gel or any other cleansing product when rinsing, as this could remove the oils and minerals, applied to your skin during the stage of wrap.
- Moisturisation: At the end of your treatment, a moisturizer or body oil is applied by your beautician to all areas of your skin for protection and softening purpose.
Types of Body Wraps
These are some of the most popular variants of body wrap treatments:
- Algae body wrap: This treatment involves application of nourishing, warmed algae to your skin. An algae body wrap restarts cell metabolism, and helps the body to detoxify.
- Bust wrap: In a bust wrap treatment, a tightening and firming serum is applied to the bust area before wrapping. This type of serum works effectively on sagging or loose skin which is most often a result of ageing or rapid weight loss. The end result of a bust wrap treatment is a toned and moisturized bust region.
- Cellulite treatment wrap: A cellulite treatment wrap is aimed at improving circulation to help flush toxins away from your skin and underlying fat cells. This results in a smoother, bump-free appearance. Generally, the target areas are bottom, hip and thighs.
- Chocolate body wrap: This heavenly scented body wrap involves application of cocoa-rich formulas to your skin. Needless to say, it is the ultimate treat for chocoholics! Chocolate, rather, cocoa, has remarkable anti-ageing, toning and softening qualities.
- Frigi thalgo body wrap: The term “frigi thalgo” means cold richness of the sea. This type of marine algae body wrap is beneficial for those with excess fluid retention in their hip and/or thigh region. Frigi thalgo body wrap treatment also targets cellulite and energizes tired legs.
- Herbal body wrap: In this treatment, herbs having nourishing properties are mixed with essential oils and soaked in very hot water. Herbal body wrap is a dead skin cell eliminating treatment which involves soaking of cloth sheets in the herb-oil-water solution before they are applied around the body.
- Inch-loss / slimming body wrap: This type of treatment is very popular among women as it is specifically designed to provide better body contours through cleansing, toning and tightening of the skin. A maximum of 10 inches can be lost across the body, from a single session. Though results from one-off treatments are not long lasting, an inch-loss/ slimming body wrap would be the right choice just before an important event at which you would undoubtedly like to look your best!
- Mud / clay wrap: A popular choice for spa clients, a mud/clay wrap involves massaging lightly into the skin, a layer of mud or clay that has healing (anti-stress) properties. This massage is applied before wrapping. This treatment rids your body of excess water, impurities and dull pores as it cleanses, detoxifies and firms you head-to-toe.
- Oil body wrap: This type of body wrap is designed to moisturize dry and/or dehydrated skin. A single fragrant essential oil or a blend of such oils is warmed and sandwiched between your skin and the applied mylar (a form of heat-resistant polyester resin) bandages.
- Paraffin body wrap: The unique feature of this skin-softening body wrap treatment is that bandages are rarely used and warm paraffin wax is simply applied directly with a brush over your body. Once dry, the paraffin wax creates its own seal. The heat from the wax helps alleviate muscle pain and symptoms of arthritis.
- Parafango wrap: “Fango” in Italian means therapeutic mud. In a parafango body wrap treatment, a mixture of cold “fango” and warm paraffin wax is used to make a body sauna and restore your lymphatic flow. Hence this body wrap helps your skin detoxify more efficiently.
- Thalasso (seaweed) body wrap: “Thalasso” means seawater therapy. This type of body wrap involves application of a blend of seawater, seaweed and/or algae to the body. The end result of the treatment is a refreshed, hydrated and firm body.
Also Read About
Join Our Mummas Community Now ! !
Being a Mom is not at all easy as everyone thinks. There are lot of expectations, decisions to take, work, challenges and what not. Mothers usually forget themselves while raising their kids.
But wait, you should not do this. You are a Mother and hence deserves everything whatever you wish. Join this Millennial Indians Moms group to connect with like-minded moms where moms help and support each other in every way.